Strange issue with brltty

Dear all,

I'm observing something with brltty that I do not understand.
The brltty that is started at boot is configured one way, but if I do
/etc/init.d/brltty stop && sleep 2 && /etc/init.d/brltty start

Then I get an instance of brltty that is configured differently.

As if the two processes were not using the same preferences file.

However, I could check that the command-line used to run the two
processes is the same, namely:

/sbin/brltty -q -P /run/brltty.pid

Moreover, brltty's Build menu shows exactly the same directories for the
brltty run at boot time and the one started manually.

And finally, I don't think brltty is run from the initrd image because I
tried a
update-initramfs -u && update-grub
and could observe the same behaviour after rebooting the system.

Any hint?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Shérab.