Re: Tuple and changes for m68k with -malign-int

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On Mon, 2023-08-28 at 08:56 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > And potentially more in the future, which may be anticipated on the
> > > basis that "those users don't need a stable ABI any more, so let's
> > > just ignore the portability issues in our code and leave the problem
> > > to the distros and toolchain developers".
> >
> > Indeed, the world is slowly turning into "everything is 64-bit little
> > endian"...
>
> Well, if we want to prevent that to happen in the future, we should make
> sure that the m68k port is prepared for the future.

Agreed. And if we get it right, all those 64-bit architectures will not
find themselves in the same predicament m68k is in now, once vendors of
shiny 128-bit and 256-bit architectures start tossing them on the scrap
heap. How will they avoid that predicament? By following our lead, and
making struct member alignment decisions explicit.