Re: Debian initramfs/initrd, was Re: stack smashing detected

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023, Stan Johnson wrote:

> On 2/7/23 4:20 PM, Finn Thain wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 7 Feb 2023, Stan Johnson wrote:
> > Preventing pointless key generation would be beneficial for all Macs,
> > Amigas, Ataris, emulators etc. and measuring the performance of one model
> > of Mac versus that of another model seems a bit irrelevant to me.
> >

> Sure, but unless Debian unsupported is willing to manage config files
> for the various systems, then it's not likely to happen.

It's easy to refute that. Just read my message from 2 days ago in this
very thread where I pointed to a different Debian kernel key generation
issue that got fixed.

> > Moreover, you've shown that your kernel builds produce stack smashing
> > errors whereas Debian's build does not. To resolve the problem with your
> > builds, why not begin by eliminating some of the differences between your
> > build and Debian's?
>
> The stack smashing appears to be intermittent. And it doesn't show up
> while booting the kernel; it only shows up while sysvinit scripts are
> running (I haven't tested using systemd, since that would be too painful
> on any 68030 slower than about 40 MHz).

No-one is asking for systemd tests.

> It takes too long to boot slow systems using Debian's kernel to run
> repeated tests ...

If your m68k machines are too slow, why do you care about stack smashing
errors at all?

> If the stack smashing is caused by a kernel bug that is hidden by
> Debian's choice of config options, then it would still be useful to
> identify the bug. If there is something missing from my config files
> that is causing the problem, then that would still be a kernel bug in
> its sanity checking of options.

This is not about sanity checking.

Anyway, if you follow the steps I gave, we all get to learn something
about the cause of the stack smashing error -- if that's what you want.