Re: Trouble booting an MVME147 with Linux

On Thursday 15 August 2002 21:44, Richard Hirst wrote:
> Hi,
>   I don't know what is causing your problems - the procedure worked for
> me, although I probably havn't tried it in the last 2 years or so.  One
> way round it might be to dump the kernel/ramdisk file to a disk using
> some other system, then use 147bug to read the disk in to memory and
> 'go' it.

I got around it some other way: since the 'netboot' program from OpenBSD did
work, I modified it so that it could boot the Linux kernel. Since it's
basically a question of reading the combined bootinfo/kernel/ramdisk image
into memory and then jumping in at the right address that wasn't too hard.

It took some fiddling with the parameters of 16xcfg before it worked (ramdisk
size and start address with only 8MB of DRAM ...) but after that I have
succeeded in installing Debian 3.0p0. Well, I finished the base install. It
took all day (I did a network install) :p
Oh, I also needed the 'nolangchooser' option, it didn't work otherwise.

I can now boot from harddisk, so after strapping it up by the boots things
worked great :)

Tomorrow I'll try to finish the installation ;p

Still no idea why TFTP is acting up though.

Kars.