Re: I gave my Debian Mac a split personality...

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 04:05:48PM -0700, William Crowshaw wrote:
> I interpreted this to mean that I was using kernel
> 2.2.20.  However, looking around, I see that in /boot
> the kernel is labelled:  vmlinuz-2.2.10.  Is also
> accompanied by "System.map-2.2.10", "config-2.2.10".
> The kernel modules are in a directory called "2.2.10"
> in /lib/modules"
>
> What's going on here?  If I know that I am using
> kernel 2.2.20, but it and related files and
> directory's are name 2.2.10, can I just rename them
> 2.2.20 and unify my Debian Mac personality?

The kernel in /boot has nothing to do with what is actually
running. With the way a 68k mac boots using Penguin, the
kernel you're using is the one on your HFS partition that
is configured in the Penguin settings. Renaming the 2.2.10
stuff on your Linux partition to 2.2.20 is liable to break
more than it fixes. You should get a copy of the modules
and System.map that actually match your kernel and put them
in the appropriate place. If you don't need any modules,
and don't intend to do any debugging, then it's not important
to have them anyway. Most mac68k kernels are compiled without
modules. I usually don't even have module support in mine.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com