Re: Asante ethernet card

Michael,
    OK, I got a chance to try this tonite on two different Mac's with
several different kernels on each.  I don't know the full address for
the linux-m68k list so if you want forward it there.

>> >The first step should be to modify the Nubus code and try to probe the
>> >card as a Nubus card even though it's PDS. If that works, the existing
>> >ethernet driver will pick up the card and look for the 8390 chip. If that
>> >fails (I'm almost sure it will), either there is no such chip (your card
>> Michael,
>>
>>     I do have two Mac's with these type of cards.  And, you are correct
>> in that they do "appear" as NuBus cards (they are phantom slots, and
>> mapped into memory space as tho' they were true NuBus cards, as far as
>> I understand it).  THis is the way in which these cards are supported
>
>That's what I understood from the developers notes. But I'm a bit puzzled
>on the interrupt side. Nubus devices interrupt by sharing one VIA2 interrupt
>and raising a bit in one of the VIA bidirectional ports. PDS devices see the
>main bus directly and can use any interrupt level.
>
>> in NetBSD.  With some guidance here, I could help this along perhaps,
>> since I do have two machines with this type of card installed.
>
>Ok, let's try that. From what I read in the source code, the Nubus code
>should probe for Nubus devices on all Macs, so that step seems to be done.
>The kernel should print a line 'Probing for Nubus devices ...', are there
>any Nubus devices reported following that line? That should sort out
>question #1.

> Did you already look at the BSD source on that issue?

No, I've never seen it.

OK, here's what it says on my Q630.  I think it would be more accurate to
say that this card is a Comm Slot Ethernet card, and may be interfaced
differently from a PDS slot.  I'm not certain of either.  But, in any case
this is what it says:

Scanning nubus slots.
nubusc: rewind of 32740!
ENET
Ethernet but type unknown 285
No driver for device [4 1 285 257]

So, the nubus scan detects it but doesn't know what it is or how to deal
with it.  This is with kernel 2.0.33pl1 #165 Sat Oct 10 the kernel you
posted on Nov. 21.  The message is exactly the same in either case.

The 2.1.120 of 980924 stack dumps on this Mac (Q630) so I didn't get far
with that one.

On the Quadra 605 which has an Asante card in the slot (again, don't know
if its correct to say its a Comm SLot card or a PDS) but it is detected
at boot time.  However, all kernels tried on this machine die with a flood
of Unexpected IRQ 3, and it drops to DEBUG.  But, it does see the card and
its Mac address is read correctly.  Actually, I was surprised I got this
far on it since its a LC040 chip (no FPU).

Hope this helps!
Paul