Re: [Debconf-team] General schedule proposal for dc15

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 10:19:30AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> Hacking time — I prefer to call it "free time" — is fine, but that
> should not be the primary focus of our conference, especially not if
> there is DebCamp before…

In which case, you consider DebCamp "free time", which brings us full circle
back to a debate I know you don't want to go anywhere near. Trust me. Please
call it "hacking time", despite what you prefer to call it.

Bearing in mind that there are many people who cannot take 2 full weeks off
for a single conference (even if it is DebConf), so *cannot* make use of
DebCamp + DebConf. I've known developers who elected to split their times
between DebCamp and DebConf, which means only attending the tail end of camp
and the first couple of days of conf, which is most certainly not ideal,
either, and entirely depends on their collaborators being available in their
shortened timeline.

The experiment of combining hack time with conference time was intended to
address this issue. We were fortunate enough to be able to incorporate a few
extra days (capping weekends) due to the timing in the US to help balance it
a little so we could fine-tune going forward. I'd be very disappointed to
see the experiment go to waste.

Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net | harmoney@debian.org

At times, you may end up far away from home;
you may not be sure of where you belong anymore.
But home is always there...  because home is not a place.
It's wherever your passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski