Re: [Debconf-team] T-shirt plan - order placed!

Hi Holger and Eric,

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:10:42AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> do I understand correctly, that no video shirts are being made?

Under the current plans, every person who deserves an orga, volunteer, or
video-team shirt based on past criteria will get a "staff" shirt. Regarding the
decision process, see below.

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:45:12AM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> This really wasn't enough time for objections to be raised. It was noted
> in the meeting that seperate VideoTeam shirts are a significant
> motivating factor. It doesn't cost any more to have video people get a
> video shirt instead of a staff shirt, does it?

I'm really sorry that I wasn't able to take the time in this case to fully
address everyone's concerns. In past situations where I solicit feedback from a
large group, I almost never give as little time for feedback as I did this time,
and for exactly the reason Eric said. I don't expect to make a habit of giving
short response times in the future, either. However, I did need to accelerate
the process relative to my usual patterns, because of the timeframe issues I
said at the start of the email.

It takes Gaby up to 15 days after the first payment to ship the shirts, and 3-7
days after that for them to arrive. This already puts us into mid-DebCamp
territory. We don't have the time to wait a couple of days for feedback, or to
schedule a t-shirt meeting, or any of those things that would otherwise be good
to reach a rough consensus.

That said, I did try to navigate between the various wildly different opinions
to pick some reasonable middle ground that enough people could be happy with,
and that I would be able to order quickly without having to add significant
delays asking various teams about how many of each role/size/gender combo to
get. I realize I didn't do a perfect job, nor am I claiming that I did. I am
claiming that I did my best to ensure we have T-shirts for the conference as
timely as possible with as little problematic budgetary impact as possible.

> Is the order locked in with Gaby already?

We have placed the order but I have received neither a confirmation nor payment
instructions from Gaby yet.

If someone wants to get me a list of which of the "staff" shirts should be
switched to "video" shirts, and figure out what the three shirts' color
breakdown should be, and take responsibility for any people who get pissed off
by any of those revisions which they don't like, I can submit a change request
to Gaby. If all of that is true AND someone wants to take responsibility for
possibly making our order late, we can spend more time discussing.

I ordered the exact set of 80 "staff" shirts which Marga proposed in her email.

> -edrz (who doesn't even want shirts for himself ...)

The budget will appreciate the opportunity to sell yours, then.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debconf.org