Re: solaris cdrecord BH08LS20 drive BD-R problems

Rob W <wrob0123@gmail.com> wrote:

> Trying to burn ISO9660 image to blu-ray disc, and not having much luck.
> Any help on how to do this on solaris 10 using cdrecord would be
> appreciated.
> I noticed some discussion about formatting BD-R discs.
> Do I have to format new discs before using cdrecord? If so, how?

You don't need to do so

> My system is loaded with one of the newer versions of solaris 10
> $ uname -a
> SunOS my_machine 5.10 Generic_139555-08 sun4u sparc sun4u

Note that Solaris 10 in general does not by default enable DMA but you need it
for writing. See eeprom(1)

Note that Solaris sparc still does not support DMA on ATA interfaces.

> Built cdrecord from source code (berlios.de) version 2.01.01a61
> The drive is LG model BH08LS20 connected via SATA to USB2.0 converter
> The discs are Memorex single layer BD-R speed 1x - 4x

Memorex may not be a high quality media.

> If I use "-atip" or "-v -minfo" flags, cdrecord gets I/O errors
> Below are the results of -minfo (without -v) and trying to write to disc

This should not happen

> # cdrecord dev=3,0,0 -minfo
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a61 (sparc-sun-solaris2.10) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2009 Jörg Schilling
> scsidev: '3,0,0'
> scsibus: 3 target: 0 lun: 0
> Warning: Using USCSI interface.
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
> Identifikation : 'BD-RE  BH08LS20 '
> Revision       : '1.00'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 BD-R driver (mmc_bdr).
> Driver flags   : NO-CD BD MMC-3 BURNFREE
> Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
> Mounted media class:      BD
> Mounted media type:       BD-R sequential recording
> Disk Is not erasable
> data type:                standard
> disk status:              empty
> session status:           empty
> BG format status:         none
> first track:              1
> number of sessions:       1
> first track in last sess: 1
> last track in last sess:  1
> Disk Is unrestricted
> Disk type: DVD, HD-DVD or BD
>
> Track  Sess Type   Start Addr End Addr   Size
>     1     1 Data   0          -1         0
>
> Last session start address:         0
> Last session leadout start address: 0

I see no error messages.....

Unless your OS prevents you from sending the needed commands,
it seems that your drive has problem to deal with the media.

Cdrecord cannot work if it does not get the capacity from the media.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)