cdrom burning problems

Hi,

I'm having trouble burning anything to a cd or a dvd disk. Mounting a cd/dvd
disk that has something on it is possible, playing videos and reading files is
no problem. BUT, the problem is in writing.

For example, command

dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/hdc

when a blank cd/dvd disk is in the drive but not mounted creates a following
report:

dd: kirjoitetaan tiedostoon "/dev/hdc": I/O-virhe
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0,020964 seconds, 0,0 kB/s

("kirjoitetaan tiedostoon" means "writing into a file", more or less)

Trying to mount the very same blank disk creates a following error message:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or other error
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
       dmesg | tail  or so

Any help is appreciated.