DVD Writing

I am running Fedora Core 1 and trying to automate (CRON) a system
backup routine writing to DVD +RW.

I've loaded the current DVD+RW-TOOLS package from Redhat and am using:

  growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdrom -r -J mytarfile.tar

to write the required tar to the DVD. All works fine from the command
line but running under cron the command fails as it finds an existing
ISO9660 file system and wont automatically overwrite it.

I think I can get round the problem by doing:

 dvd+rw-tools -f /dev/cdrom

before the growisofs command but I've read that multiple formats of
DVD+RW is not recommended. Is there a better way to solve this problem
or is the formatting solution OK ?

Thanks, Mark.