Re: cdrtools-2.01a37 ready

On Thu 19 August 2004 07:51, Jacob Meuser wrote:

> I doubt any government regards the GPL as an entity, so the GPL
> has no rights.  the GPL is a contract; following the GPL gives
> entities rights. SuSE can release a really buggy version of
> anything covered by the GPL, as long as they are complying with
> the terms of the GPL.  what I don't get, is that if Joerg is so
> sure SuSE is in violation, why doesn't he just take them to
> court.  that's why the GPL exists; so people can be made to
> comply or pay the consequences.  it's not about freedom, it's
> about control.

That's not the point. By printing out that notice, SuSE does comply
with the spirit of the GPL (that preamble clause about protecting
the author) and by not clearly marking the source code files they
may be violating the letter of the GPL.

However, none of this is the issue. What Jörg is getting worked up
about is that he gets email from people complaining about bugs in a
version of his software that he has nothing to do with (neither
that version of cdrecord nor the bugs). That's the real issue.

Personally, I wish everyone would just use growisofs to burn DVDs.
It's FSF-free, Debian-free, and open source, and it's completely
unrelated to cdrecord. And it's well-supported and it works.

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key