Re: Last border-out wrong?

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 07:34:52PM +0100, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> > I own a BTC 1008 DVD writer and I'm trying to burn some video DVD-Rs with
> > dvd+rw-tools (5.17.4.8.6) under FreeBSD 4.9
> >
> > All DVDs I burnt are readable on only one standalone DVD player (a
> > pioneer one) and with the burner.  I can't read them on others DVD-ROM
> > drives and standalone players.
>
> Define "can't read." Does it mean that it says "no media in" or does it
> say "no superblock" or similar. Try to run dvd+rw-mediainfo against
> DVD-ROM unit (yes, against DVD-ROM, not recording unit) with this
> recorded media in.

In the standalone player I have a "no disk in" message and in the
DVD-ROM player if for example I try to play the DVD-R with mplayer,
the player hangs in an "endless reading loop" with no result (I have
some syslog messages but they are only revelant of a "bad medium" on
FreeBSD).
Same behavior with dvd+rw-mediainfo.

> > dvd+rw-mediainfo gives me that output:
> >
> > # dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cd1c
> > INQUIRY:                [DVDRW   ][IDE1008         ][0054]
> > GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
> >  Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
> > READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
> >  Last border-out at:    0*2KB=0
> >
> > The "Last border-out at:    0*2KB=0" seems weird for me, but maybe I'm
> > wrong.
>
> It *is* wierd and it *can* limit playability in legacy units, at least
> in those which explicitly support DVD-R playback (those which support
> exclusively DVD-ROM look at "legacy lead-out" value and disregard "last
> border-out"). It's most likely your burner firmware deficiency [at least
> other recorder units are known to exhibit sane border-out values] and
> the question is if there is a workaround for it. Things to try:
>
> 1. Try to leave media opened for multi-sessioning and see if "last
> border-out" is sane then. To perform -dvd-video recording and leave
> media open you have to split mkisofs and growisofs as following:
>
>   mkisofs -dvd-video /path/to/video | growisofs -Z /dev/cd1c=/dev/fd/0
>
> Submit dvd+rw-mediainfo output for resulting recording. If "last
> border-out" is sane and media still remains unplayable, fill it up with
> 'growisofs -M /dev/cd1c=/dev/zero'. Submit dvd+rw-mediainfo output for
> resulting recording.

I did not try this solution according to what you wrote "below".

> 2. Try to perform DAO recording by complementing growisofs command-line
> with -use-the-force-luke=dao option. Is recording playable then? Submit
> dvd+rw-mediainfo output for resulting recording.

Great, it did the trick, here's the dvd+rw-mediainfo output:
# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cd1c
INQUIRY:                [DVDRW   ][IDE1008         ][0054]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
 Media ID:               TYG01
 Current Write Speed:   4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Write Speed #1:        2.0x1385=2770KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2180047 R@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/2180047 R@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
W@2.0x1385=2770KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#10h]:
 Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
 Last border-out at:    2180048*2KB=4464738304
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           complete
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: complete
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           complete
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            2180048*2KB
 Last Recorded Address: 2180047*2KB

This time Last border-out seems "normal".

> > If I burn the same thing (using the same command: growisofs -Z /dev/cd1c
> >  -dvd-video /path/to/video) on a DVD+RW, the result is readable...
>
> Session closing code for DVD-dash and DVD+plus recording is completely
> different and success with DVD+recording doesn't exclude possibility
> that there is no bug in DVD-dash code of your unit firmware.
>
> > Another thing, when I want to burn a data DVD I have to avoid the
> > -dvd-compat option or the DVD will be readable only by the burner.
>
> Well, this basically provides answer to the above suggested experiment
> #1, because -dvd-video implies -dvd-compat. Can you submit
> dvd+rw-mediainfo output for such "data" recording? I write "data" in
> quotes, because from the actual recording point of view there is no
> difference between "data" and "video" input, it's all just data. Sounds
> like I need to add another entry to
> http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/hcn.html.

Here's the ouput:
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2263551 R@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/2263551 R@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
W@2.0x1385=2770KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#10h]:
 Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
 Last border-out at:    2263552*2KB=4635754496
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           appendable
 Number of Sessions:    2
 State of Last Session: incomplete
 "Next" Track:          0
 Number of Tracks:      2
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           complete incremental
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            2263552*2KB
 Last Recorded Address: 2263551*2KB
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#2]:
 Track State:           invisible incremental
 Track Start Address:   2263568*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 2263568*2KB
 Free Blocks:           34928*2KB
 Track Size:            34928*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             14@0
 Track#AA :             14@2263552
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0

I also noted the speed option was not working with my burner, well it's
not too much important for the moment...

I think you could add a note on the compatibility page about the need of
-use-the-force-luke=dao to burn a DVD-R with a BTC 1008.  I did not try
with a DVD+R yet, but I assume if a DVD+RW is working without the dao
mode it "should" be the same with a DVD+R.

Thanks!

Marc