Re: mkisofs questions

> 1. Is it, or is is not, possibele to make a good/working/official image
> that is > 4GB.

Dead simple, you need everything compiled with large file support.

> 2. why are there in some images mkisofs information and others not ?

> cat /cdrs/redhat90-1.iso |more
> mkisofs 1.14 -A Red Hat Linux/i386 9 -V Red Hat Linux/i386 9 -J -R -v -T

AFAIK this info is always added to all images created with mkisofs. Some
people, including Klaus Knopper, go out of their way though to erase
this portion of the .iso image afterwards.

> And how can I enable/disable it ?

It's always on. To turn it off, find the block which contains it and
overwrite the whole block with zeros. Perhaps there's an Easter egg in
mkisofs to turn it off, but Jörg doesn't seem the person for this.

> 3. If I boot a download image with
> "-b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot
> -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table" I can boot from CD,
> If I mount the cdimage and copy the stuff to HD and add a file and than
> do a
> "mkisofs .. -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot
> -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ... " my iso is not bootable on a lot
> of machines, why ?

Some guesses: a) don't copy the boot.cat file, it's created by mkisofs.
In fact you should hide it from being listed. b) the actual location of
the files needed for boot on disk needs to be closer to the front.

You aren't by any chance trying to make a bootable RH9 DVD? ALl my
first attempts failed and it took quite a bit of googling to get right.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.