Re: Bookworm - cron?

On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 08:16:57PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 12:53:08PM -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:
> > But cron isn't installed.
>
> Seems unlikely. There are system cron jobs that are not yet
> converted to systemd timers. A bookworm install I did just yesterday
> has cron jobs in /etc/cron.d/ that require the "cron" package.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I've now checked this and the
default install that I did got these system cron jobs:

/etc/cron.d/e2scrub_all
/etc/cron.d/ntpsec
/etc/cron.daily/man-db
/etc/cron.daily/apt-compat
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate
/etc/cron.daily/dpkg
/etc/cron.weekly/man-db

…all of which have systemd timers which take precedence, so aren't
actually used.

So I take it back: it does seem possible to have a functioning
minimal Debian install without cron and without going to any great
effort to create your own systemd timers.

Though I am sure there's still plenty of packages with cron jobs and
not timers (yet).

Cheers,
Andy