Re: promiscuous mode

> tethereal -n not tcp port 22

Yep all I see is APR requests and Name queries now. I was using ssh at the
time!

> Are you sure it's not? Of course being connected on a big network you
> will receive plenty of junk, specialy as your broadcast domain seems
> quite big. Any machine looking for an other (dns server, gateway,
> whatever) will send an arp message that _everybody_ will receive (if
> not, your ethernet will never work), windows machines hoping to make new
> friends will do the same... There is very little you can do other than
> taking no action (which your IP stack already does for most of this
> stuff). You may additionnaly use iptables to remove this useless traffic
> (just be carefull that on a busy network you may fill your logs with
> useless crap) but this will not prevent the traffic from reaching you.
> The only other way would be to put a router between you and the big
> network, but you don't gain much I think.

Thanks for that. I have cheap netgear switch at the moment connected to one
of the network's hubs. If
I invested in an expensive switch (like cisco or something) that could go to
lower layers then would I find
that this traffic went away? The reason I ask is that my friends server in
redbus doesn't have this problem...

Thanks for you help.