Re: Mailserver HDD organization

At 12:37 PM +0000 1/19/02, Pete Ryland wrote:
I wouldn't always believe the version reported by a large mail server.  It's
quite common practice (I'm sure a lot on this list may do so) to display a
version string that is not at all accurate in an attempt to put off crackers
or create a honeypot.  You might ask, "Why not just have no version string
at all?"  Well, the SMTP RFC requires a string to be there - simple as that.

but the RFC doesn't require version information in the string. The only thing it requires is the 220 and the hostname (although an invalid hostname doesn't seem to cause problems). ESMTP is traditional if your server supports it. There's an intersting article on counterpane about this:

<http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0112.html#9>

Kevin