debian-release@lists.debian.org

> Martin-Éric Racine <martin-eric.racine@iki.fi> writes:
>
> > The following package needs both sponsoring and a freeze exception:
> >
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rus-ispell/rus-ispell_0.99g5-7.dsc
> >
> > To put the bug in context, some recent changes in the way some
> > building tools work under encodings other than the C locale have
> > resulted in a partially broken build.   The result are 3 Russian
> > dictionaries (ispell/aspell/myspell) that are mostly useless for
> > everyday usage.
>
> I don't think broken 0.99g5-6 reached testing.
>
> And the "bug" #511290 it was trying to fix is controversial. The
> purpose of the changes is to allow some obsolete spelling variants to
> be considered as valid.
Hey man, you absolutly wrong with "obsolete spelling". That's the
official rules of Russian language in Russia:
http://gramota.ru/spravka/rules/?rub=gl&text=19_4

"Svami Dhyan Nataraj \(Nikolay Shaplov\)" <n@shaplov.ru> absolutly
right in his bugreport:

>In Russian language Io -- is optional letter. In most cases we use
>letter "ie" instead of "io". And it is correct usage.
>
>Letter "ie": Е - captial, е - small
><U0415>    CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER IE
><U0435>    CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER IE
>
>"io" is mostly used in books for children, or when there are two
>different words with similar spelling, that differs only by "ie" and
>"io", and this difference can't be guessed by context.

Most typographical texts are written with jo substituted with je, and
providing dictionary which consider such texts as wrong is really
annoing.

Also you should note, that ispell-rus was built in such way for a long
time, and only 0.99g5-5 broke this because of not clean build
environment.

In the future ispell-rus will provide both dictionaries (I'm working
on it allready), but for lenny, I think, that #511290 should be fixed.

--
Best regards,
 Alexander GQ Gerasiov

 Contacts:
 e-mail:    gq@cs.msu.su             Jabber:  gq@jabber.ru
 Homepage:  http://gq.net.ru         ICQ:     7272757
 PGP fingerprint: 0628 ACC7 291A D4AA 6D7D  79B8 0641 D82A E3E3 CE1D