Re: Request for Sponsorship: VeryFastTree - Parallelized and Optimized Version of FastTree

Hi César,

César Pomar, on 2023-09-07:
> The latest version of VeryFastTree is now available
> in the Salsa repository. It should pass all Debian tests now.

Thanks for your work on this, I'm open to proceed to an upload,
but I wanted to point out a few things first:

  * from lintian's automatic review, there are a couple of
    warnings about the baseline specific executables caught
    without manual pages:

        W: veryfasttree: no-manual-page [usr/bin/VeryFastTree-avx2]
        W: veryfasttree: no-manual-page [usr/bin/VeryFastTree-avx512f]
        W: veryfasttree: no-manual-page [usr/bin/VeryFastTree-avx]
        W: veryfasttree: no-manual-page [usr/bin/VeryFastTree-sse2]
        W: veryfasttree: no-manual-page [usr/bin/VeryFastTree-sse4_1]

    so maybe it would be worth either moving these executables
    out of the path, canonically under libexec/ so the dispatch
    script finds them there, unless you want to provide the
    alternate baseline programs in the path, in which case you
    might consider applying a lintian override for those
    warnings; or third option, you can modify the manual page to
    answer to all the variants;

  * from lintian's pedantic checks, I see also one instance of:

        P: veryfasttree source: maintainer-manual-page [debian/VeryFastTree.1]

    which makes me wonder whether it would make sense to ship
    the manual page straight in your upstream code, for the
    benfit of your users not installing veryfasttree through the
    Debian package;

  * pristine-tar branch ends with a commit from root: I don't
    have strong opinions whether this should be left as-is or
    force-pushed with a proper user ID, however I would strongly
    suggest not running any packaging step with elevated
    privileges in general.

The package is in otherwise good shape.  Please let me know at
least how you would like to address the lintian warnings, and I
will proceed to a sponsored upload.

Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  gpg: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da