X 4.0.1 problem with a Toshiba laptop

Hi there!

I have a toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT that has a Trident Cyber9525DVD PCI/AGP video card. Everything was working just fine until I upgraded X from version 4.0.x to the new debian package X 4.1.0-5. Now, although I can still use X, every time I  switch to a console and then back to X the screen just keeps getting brighter as if it was misconfigured until I kill it. If I try to start X again it goes fine until I switch to a console again.

Does anyone had this problem when upgrading X? Can anyone else give me a hint on how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo Diz