irda-common upgrade problems

hi everyone -

I am having some trouble upgrading the irda-common package from potato to
woody. I guess that makes me a software tester. Here is what I know about
it -

I receive these messages when I try to reinstall it now w/ apt-get
install :
machine:# apt-get install irda-common
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, irda-common is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Setting up irda-common (0.9.14-12) ...
dpkg: error processing irda-common (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 30
 irda-common

after reading the Debian Bug report logs - #77021
I first changed the /etc/init.d/irmanager file to set DONTRUN_DAEMON to 1
then, when received the above msg, I removed the file and
/etc/init.d/irda .

This is the output I receive from the following command recommended from
#77021
machine:# sh -x /var/lib/dpkg/info/irda-common.prerm remove
+ '[' '(' remove = upgrade -o remove = remove ')' -a -L
/usr/doc/irda-common ']'
+ '[' -e /etc/init.d/irda ']'

anybody have a clue? BTW, this machine is running a custom 2.4.8 kernel
w/modularised irda on woody
(I tried to install this package with and w/o the irda modules inserted)

Linux machine 2.4.8 #1 Sat Sep 1 21:40:33 CEST 2001 i686 unknown

any help gratefully accepted...

Andy