Re: Request for English debconf template review

Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:10:52PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > It's not arrogance, it's that anyone who doesn't already know that Pluggable
> > Authentication Modules == PAM also doesn't /need/ to know that in order to
> > understand the debconf question.  Actually, for this reason I'm inclined to
>
> I'd also expect that most users who do know what's going on will
> understand the term PAM without knowing what it expands to.

One of the complaints about debian installs and upgrades that I've
heard most often at user group meetings is that the debconf questions
use jargon that people don't understand.  I'd like to reduce those and
expanding terms like PAM helps to explain them.

Most of those who understand the term PAM without knowing its
expansion have only learnt its meaning from seeing it in similar
contexts several times, a sort of statistical jargon-busting.  We can
do better at educating our community...

Hope that explains why I prefer to expand TLAs on first use,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.