Re: GNOME2 in experimental

Le jeu 05/09/2002 à 22:57, Chris Waters a écrit :

> We do make a distribution for all users.  It's called "stable".
> People who want to live on the bleeding edge by running our unstable
> system should expect to bleed a little (though we try to minimize the
> pain, since most of _us_ run unstable in order to build packages for
> unstable).  And that goes double for experimental.

Stable is good for servers, but I don't think that many people use
stable on their box ... stable is not a good choose if you want recent
version of your apps.

Unstable works fine most of the time. Many users have it, and then
choose that ... no problem with that.

But people use experimental only for gnome2, and stop using experimental
could avoid problems for them ... gnome2 packages are working, why not
upload them in unstable ?

> Then they can either wait until we judge that it's ready, or they can
> learn how to use apt and experimental properly, or they can run off
> half-cocked and break their systems.  Let me say this again: UNSTABLE
> AND EXPERIMENTAL ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR ALL USERS!

Yes, I agree with that ... but what would you say to an user who want
install gnome2 ? Stop using Debian .. you have gnome2 but it is not for
user ?

Most of the time there is no problem with unstable ... and gnome2
packages work .. so why not make the transition to gnome2 in unstable ?

> Not thinking is right.  People who don't think should not be using
> unstable, let alone experimental.  If that means they can't use gnome2
> yet, well, that's life.  Gnome1.4 still works fine.  Gnome2 will go in
> when we decide it's ready.  Which should be fairly soon.  Impatient
> people will just have to learn to deal with their impatience or live
> with its consequences.

gnome2 is nicer than gnome1.4. Packages are ready, and work fine. People
want gnome2 and not gnome1.4 ... so what are you waiting for ?

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher